Friday, June 24, 2011

Unterach to Wein, Austria

Ok, today has been hmm very full I guess... I am actually surprised what I have managed to fit in... I spend 1/2 the day... walking around the hills and lakes surrounding Unterach in Austria, before driving with Evelyn (my very first CS guest) to Wein for the weekend...

All I can say, after what I have seen so far of Bavaria & Austria & Transylvian, is Why to Europeans come to NZ? honestly, you have NZ here in your own backyard, the only noticeable difference, everyone speaks german, and the trees are TINY, but the landscape is amazing....

View of the lake at Unterach, there are actually 2 lakes, with a river flowing from one into the other, proably only 10km's appart..

View from Evelyns studio unit, truly breathtaking...

I went on a walk, up around the hills taking a few snaps along the way, it is very much like home, except the houses are pretty well much all the same kinda design, and the trees... are small...


Another view of the lake

Hey whos that?

would you believe a deer darted past just as we were leaving town at lunch time.... was like no time to take the shot... was like wizz... would be no way in hell you could avoid it if your car was close... 

Restaurant, pretty well just down the bottom from Evelyns place, really nice food.

Yet another view this is from another location, as we were driving back to Wein

Yet another shot.... everything is like a postcard

Lake again...

yeah yeah yeah another of the lake

Wein or Vienna... first looks...

Heart of Vienna/Wein

Another in Vienna/Wein

Had to take a picture of this

Evelyn took me to this powerplant, it recycles everyones rubbish... burns it I guess.... to produce power... some artist, made it look pretty...

Another shot of the building...

Anyway the weather was fine.... I was making my way back to Evelyns place, she's gone out dancing... and left me to find my own way home!! eeep! I knew the metro station started with an "R" and was on the red line!! there were however! 2 "R"'s on the red line, hell they both sound the same to me, I started off travelling to one.... and crossed the river... was like I can't remember any of this... wtf... must be the other one.... anyway.... changed to the underground going the other way....went to the end of the line.... came out at the "R" station... and was like WTF... this dosen't look ANYTHING like what I remember going into....

I walked around for a bit, and noticed another "U" sign a little bit more up the road... 100-150 metres I guess... that was the one I went into.... from there I had to retrace my steps back to her appartment.... I made it! to my surprise!...

Anyway, at the moment, I am working on getting back to Rome....I am planing on going back on the 26th, so I can spend atleast another full day there... shopping!! spending the last of my Euros... and packing my backpack... believe I can fit another 4-7kgs worth of stuff in... altho carrying that to the airport will be a hassle... hmm o'well I will sort that problem out in a couple of days...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chris, I couldn't resist confronting you with the fact that you seem to have spent the day in an alcoholic beverage. :) "Wein" is German for wine, whereas the Austrian capital (Vienna) is spelled "Wien". But it's a cool city anyway! :)

    The name of the artist who decorated the power plant is Hundertwasser. He is very famous as an architect, an artist and an advocate of public nudism. ;)

    And btw, the fact that everybody speaks German in Bavaria and Austria is not very different from NZ! In fact, we had the impression that about 80% of the tourists we met in NZ were German-speaking. I think one of the things that make NZ very special is the number of people living there - you can spend a day in the Catlins never seeing a single person. And of course the most beautiful and diverse landscapes squeezed into two-and-a-half relatively small islands. :)

    ReplyDelete